Thursday, February 21, 2019

Biology/Living Environment Websites to use with your students


I am always looking for different websites I can use in my Biology classroom.  I like sites that I can use a demo with the whole class as well as those that students can use individually in stations or at home.  Here are a few that I found to be helpful.  I would love for you to share with me and fellow readers some sites that you have found helpful.

Genetic Decoder

This site gives students a structural view of the 5 DNA/RNA nucleotides.  It will also allow you to visualize the amino acids that are coded for by any combination of codons.  Lastly you can enter a DNA or RNA sequence and it will give you the amino acid sequence.

BioDigital Human

This is a human visualization platform that gives you and your students a 3D view of the human anatomy. You can add labels to the views and even quiz yourself.  I also like that you can see customized models to your library so you can use them from class to class and year to year.  There is also a gallery view so that you can view by system or even medical condition.

Cells Alive

This is a great site to introduce students to cell organelles.  I always used it with my middle school students as a way of introducing them to cells.  I used it along with a webquest.  You can find a number of different worksheets by doing a search for Cells Alive webquest, but the one I used was based on this one from The Biology Corner.

Cell Transport

This site allows your students to visualize the different types of transport that occur across a membrane (difussion, osmosis, passive transport and activive transport).  It also shows how proteins are ienvolved in this transport and how the proteins are regulated in order to regulate transport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment